Saturday, September 20, 2008

Pippin

Well, school is back in swing and with it comes the musical. Every other year the high does a musical and this year we are doing Pippin. When I first found out, I knew nothing about the show. I had heard one of the songs but that's it. Last Monday, the 15th, the directors held auditions. I was scared stiff with the idea of having to sing in front of people for singing isn't exactly one of my greatest talents. All weekend I sang and practiced until my voice hurt. I could barely concentrate on Monday and when 2:00 arrived, I thought I might throw up. Everyone gather in the eurythmy room. We played some games, learned some dance steps and warmed up as a group. The whole time I could see the directors taking notes on each of us. We all waited in an empty classroom for our turn to audition. While I sat there, playing hang man and going over the words of the song in my head, I found myself strangely calm. When I was called in my nerves woke up once more. I sang my song, which sounded, interesting. Then they had me improv a short skit in which I was baby-sitting some messy kids. That I could do easily. All in all, it didn't go as well as I wanted, but not awfully bad either. 
Yesterday, Friday the 19th, the parts we put up after school. When the bus got back from golf, I ran as fast as I could to the board to see what part I had been given. When I auditioned, I told Mark and Corby (the directors) that I wanted to play the field Marshall. I thought that this was the British character that sung my favorite song. No way! I got field Marshall! My congratulated me but then said "Eve, I don't think field Marshall is the part you thought it was." It turns out that the British singing guy is actually a different character. I told them I wanted a character that I actually didn't. I messed up big time. At first I was really upset with my part for I heard he only had one tiny scene. Now I think I've embraced my mix up. I'm planing on making the best I can out of this situation. I'm going to make this character something really special. 
My and Ventana both got great parts and I'm really happy for them. I'm sure that no matter what this is going to be an amazing experience, and I'm really excited for Monday, our first rehearsal!

1 comment:

Luis said...

Pippin, directed in Broadway by John Fosse, as of July 2008 is the 28th longest-running Broadway musical.
Kisses
Luis Villa