Saturday, August 18, 2007

Vancouver, Canada: Day 13 and 14



Day 13
It was mom’s birthday. I ate fig bread with goat cheese for breakfast then at 12:30 we walked down to the Aquabus and took it to Granville Island. We waited for Greg at the entrance, where he picked us up and took us to lunch at the fabulous Earls. Barry and Gary (another of Gregs work buddies) arrived to join us. Mom and I shared an amazing thin-crusted margarita pizza topped with black olives and a delicious green salad. The guys talked about work for a little. Afterward Mom and I walked down to West 4th to our favorite bead shop. We both decided to make a necklace we had seen in a shop. We walked around, collected beads and chain, which took a little while, then sat down. It took us about two hours to finish it, but in the end they turned out wonderful. Mine was gold and orange and mom’s was silver, green and purple. We were thirsty so we walked to Safeway, then to a post office. It was still too early for Greg to leave work, so mom and I sat down in a little French cafe where we had tea and a hazelnut chocolate, which was very good. Greg picked us up and we headed for The Pacific Institute of Culinary Arts. It began to rain really hard and parking was no where to be found. Greg bought an umbrella and dropped us off at the door to the restaurant. Just before Greg pulled out onto the street the man at the restaurant told Greg there was a parking lot under the building. We sat down and ordered, I ordered a special veggie dish. First I received a salad which was very good, then I got the special goat cheese mushroom dish, it was amazing! It was a portobello mushroom stuffed with feta cheese, there were different veggies all around the mushroom, and in the middle was amazing risotto. It was absolutely unbelievable! Then desert came. I had chocolate cake with raspberry sauce. It was AMAZING, a little rich, but AMAZING!! Then I was completely stuffed. Our waitress was very nice, her name was Lindsay. Once we got home I read a chapter of Catcher in the Rye then went to sleep.

The Pacific Institute of Culinary Arts

Day 14
I woke up and looked at the clock. It read 12:44. It was the latest I had ever slept. I ate lentils then finished up my book report. Mom did some research on yarn shops for me, but alas, there was only one store in all of downtown Vancouver. I watched Avatar, then an episode of LOST. Later mom and I went looking for the yarn shop, but the address was fake, it was an apartment building, not a yarn shop. It started to drizzle. We went home and ate applesauce, I also had chips, curry, crackers and goat cheese. It was very good. Mom and I started to do the laundry but Greg arrived to take us to dinner before we could finish. We went to a restaurant called Kalamata. At the restaurant was Barry, Michelle, her boyfriend Andy, Sara and her brother, Gary and his wife and two kids named Maggie and Ian. I sat next to Maggie who was nice, we talked for a little while, she was reading the second His Dark Materials book, The Subtle Knife. It took like an hour to get the food, and I accidentally ate Ian’s house salad. I finally got my Greek salad which was pretty good. We went home and mom and I listened to HP7, then I packed for our trip to Victoria in the morning. I read a chapter of my book then went to sleep.

No comments: