Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Vancouver, Canada: Day 9 and 10


Day 9
Greg, mom and I headed over to North Vancouver to go to the Capilano Suspension Bridge. I was very nervous because I was afraid that it would be really shaky, so as Greg stepped on the bridge that was very far above a shallow rocky river, I was terrified. The bridge shook as I walked and I was constantly clinging to the rail. Once we finally got across I we waited a minute for the Eco Tour Guide to arrive. She arrived a minute later and then the tour began. She showed us a fallen tree, called a “nurse” log that acts as fertile ground for plants to start growing on. Then we saw some rainbow trout, the guide explained their role in the forest ecosystem. She also explained the four main trees in this forest and the size they grow to be. We saw Douglas Fir, Spruce, Hemlock and Cedar trees. Once the tour was over we went on “Tree-Top Adventures” which was a bunch of bridges up in the trees leading from tree to tree. They have attached adjustable harnesses to the trees to create the bridges between the trees. The harnesses cause no damage to the trees and actually help make them stronger by gently exercising them. We walked around for a little while then crossed the “terrifying bridge” back to the other side. There, we spoke with “Peter” from one of the First Nation tribes of the area. He educated us about Totem Poles (correctly called Story Poles) and also answered our questions about drum making and the images they paint. Then I had a turkey sandwich. We quickly browsed through the gift shop, then headed out. Greg, mom and I drove around North Vancouver for a little bit, mom was trying to find an art store but it was closed. We then went to a coffee shop called Beans, I got a chai tea. On the way home we stopped at our regular market, Capers. We made gnocchi and salad for dinner then went to the 10:10 showing of Stardust. I absolutely LOVED the film and HIGHLY recommend it. Originally it was a graphic novel written by Neil Gaiman and illustrated by our friend Charles Vess. The story is about a young man named Tristan who has a thing for the pretty Victoria. She is going to marry a young man named Humphrey but Tristan persuades her to wait till he brings her back a fallen star. He is soon thrust into an adventure that not only involves him and the star, but also a witch, a prince and a pirate of a flying ship.

Stardust

Day 10
Today I woke up and ate sausage for breakfast. I knitted for a while and began to watch my play Nicholas Nickleby. Mom and I also listened to HP7. After a little while we walked down to the ocean and took the Aquaboat (a little water bus) across the water to Granville Island. We got homemade gelato, I had hazelnut chocolate which was some of the best ice cream I’ve ever had. After I finished, we went into an art store called Opus, I got 2 colored pencils and an eraser. Then, we strolled around looking into the interesting shoppes and sites. I got a cute little notepad to jot down ideas. We also walked around the Public Market a bit, then drank some hot chocolate and watched the people waiting for Greg to pick us up. We went out to dinner with Barry and Ian at a nice restaurant called Earls. We talked for a while then Dennis showed up just as our dinner arrived. He decided to order the Kung Pao chicken, same as Barry. They talked and laughed about favorite film comedies while I knitted. For dinner, I had Mediterranean Linguini, which was very good! I finished watching my play then went to sleep.

No comments: