Monday, August 18, 2008

Macbeth

For the past couple of weeks Ventana and I have looked forward to seeing some of the repertory plays at Theatricum. We wanted to see Macbeth, but decided to wait until our teacher Susan Angelo was going to perform the role of Lady Macbeth. We decided to go on Friday (the 15th). Everything was all planned out, I would go with the Ventana and her parents, we would have a "picnic" there and then see the show. That day at camp, Mallin asked if she could join us, and we said yes.
The show was very good. I did Macbeth when I was younger, so it was fun to see a professional version. It was really neat seeing it at night for it added to the play tremendously. The costumes were great as always. While doing the scenes and monologues class I spent a lot of time backstage in the house they use for the plays. During that time I looked a lot at the guys costumes (the girls costumes were upstairs where we weren't allowed). I found one that I liked the most. It is a long stripy, earthy colored shirt with big Shakespeare sleeves, and a vest on top. Once the play began, I realized that the costume belonged to one of my directors, Mike, who was in the show.
The acting in the play was very good! Susan (right) was great, she had a nice strong presence on stage which was perfect for the character. Mike (top left), who played Malcom, was also good. He always seems to play the rather innocent characters, which he is good at! Aaron (top middle), my other director, was also really good! He played Macduff. The only person who I didn't like very much was Macbeth. He just didn't play the part right. During the whole play I had to keep reminding myself that he was Macbeth. He played the part too weak, almost like a beggar, not like the strong and evil king that Macbeth should be.
In all it was a very good play, I recommend it!

Pictures are thanks to Theatricum.com.

1 comment: