Saturday, July 5, 2008

Drawing of the Day: Delia


I did this drawing about the same time I did Adelaide. Her name is Delia. She is another major character in my story. She and Adelaide are the best of friends, they've grown up together in the countryside of England. Delia is the kind of girl who always has a plan. She is friendly, cheerful, and smart. Yet Delia fears change above all else. She fears the days when she and Adelaide will not be together, when they are grown and have moved away from the green countryside. That is what she strives to protect, her happy country life, by any means possible. In fact, Delia may be the reason that this story came into being. I was watching the trailer to Atonement on a day in last December. I watched as the character, that I learned was called Briony, ran through green grass towards a country estate. As she ripped open a letter and stared at it in horror. As she sat on the bed with her friend, telling her every secret contained in the lines of the letter. An image filled my head, an image of a girl, much like this one, who ran through the countryside, and read a haunting letter. But this girl was accompanied by a girl, a girl with brown hair. A scene filled my mind, a scene that would start it all. That would start the event that began everything, that set the story in motion. So even though Adelaide is the main character of the story, it is Delia who can take the credit for starting it all.

No comments: